Online Users Page

QN

Previous notifications:
4 years ago
New Blog Entry In .:A-MAN:. lists stuff!
11 years ago
Regular accepted your friend request
More..
62umer936
2 months ago
I hate npm
Back

Please Login To Post

17X27
1 month ago
@umer936 yeah seemed a lot like npm iirc, but composer also fits what I mentioned: https://getcomposer.org/doc/00-intro.md#dependency-management

Idk if something like composer would exist if we never had npm, and for that I love it.

I can feel your pain on the docker issues. I usually avoid docker since it's often over kill in projects I write, so prob why I don't see the npm issues there lol.
62umer936
1 month ago
*new Dockerfile setting up all the install parts at root, then making and switching users for all the npm stuff as the non-root user, then back to root for linking and such, then back to the non-root user.

Additionally, I had to blow away node_modules, set perms on package.json / package-lock.json over and over.

Just let me run as root for a docker-container for a program that's just for dev.
62umer936
1 month ago
@X27 i said this about npm though bc I have a docker container with npm in it and it would not let me do anything bc it wont run as root (which I needed to be bc someone else had made the container and the actual purpose of the container needed it), but the error was so difficult, saying "ERR Permission Denied" and I was like "why permission denied? I'm root"

Tried all of the things including the npm config set user root , no enforce, etc etc until I ended up making a whole new Dockerfile and docker-compose just to run a container that's not even mine just to do a build.
62umer936
1 month ago
@X27 have you used composer? literally the best
17X27
1 month ago
I'm the one Andy who likes it AMA.

Before npm I haven't seen anything nearly as good, and it feels like node's popularity caused other languages to get better tools. I'll take npm over cmake, pip, gradle, maven, IDE specific XML, git submodules, etc.
70.:A-MAN:.
2 months ago
what you don't like directories inside directories inside directories inside directories inside directories inside directories inside directories?
v3.2