Online Users Page

QN

Previous notifications:
4 years ago
New Blog Entry In .:A-MAN:. lists stuff!
11 years ago
Regular accepted your friend request
More..
44GuitarBoy 1 year ago
@.:A-MAN:. @Smalls

Well after 3 days of sitting in front of the computer for like 8 hours a day I'm waiting for the extension to be reviewed by Google to be published. I deferred the publishing though, so it won't be automatically put on the store. There's still a few bugs I'm working out.

I actually ended up deleting the vast majority of the original code, and re-writing it in a way that I could more easily understand. Functionality is nearly identical to the original, but there are some differences that set mine apart. Namely the ability to download notes from the options page of the extension, and freely adjust the background and text color with HTML color pickers.

The UI for the notes and options page is improved. Instead of using plain text HTML character codes for icons like the original, I used Material icons.

Using ExtensionPay to monetize. $1.99 a year. Users can install the extension for free since Google got rid of webstore payments, but it's essentially a free trial. No subscription restricts the user to 2 notes, and they can only set the colors of the notes from a handful of presets; exact colors cannot be set, only the presets can be applied.

I plan on adding more features depending on how many people like this. Features like labels to categorize/organize notes, a way to pin the notes so they scroll with the page, a reminder system that will send a push notification of a note to the user, ability to download the note to your phone by scanning a QR code, a way to search notes on the options page, etc.

I'm very hopeful I can get at least $20-$30 a month from this. Like again, if this other guy can get 9,000+ for something as half baked as the original code, I should be able to get at least 10 people or so a month. With how many schools use Chromebooks, there's gotta be some students who will want this.

I'm hoping I can use this as an opportunity to get more serious about coding again, and perhaps make a small career out of creating extensions/PWAs. If one app gets me at least $20-$30 a month, I just need to make a few to get an extra $100+ a month.

The less time I need to be on the road to make money the better I say. With that said, it's 2:21am and I need to drive Sierra's cousin home from work at 7:30am lol. He's paying me $30 round trip each day until he can get a car. I drop him off at work at 11pm, pick him up at 7:30am. It's kinda tiring, but by the time I get done taking him home in the morning I find myself staying awake the whole day so. It's some good guaranteed money though, plus I've been doing some delivery gigs here and there in between.
Back

Please Login To Post

70.:A-MAN:.
1 year ago
@GuitarBoy Yeah that would make sense
44GuitarBoy 1 year ago
@.:A-MAN:. Well at this point the lines are pretty blurry between a Progressive Web App and a Chrome App. PWA's even have the ability to serve as file handlers (right click context menu in your file explorer app). This was once reserved for Chrome apps. But seeing that it's been like 3 years since I made XPDF, a ton has changed. The extension/app docs say that Chrome apps are to be discontinued on all platforms, even Chrome OS, by like 2025 at the latest. They're being discontinued on Windows, Mac, and Linux as soon as next year.
70.:A-MAN:.
1 year ago
@GuitarBoy Ngl I don't remember that last time I even heard about a chrome app lol
44GuitarBoy 1 year ago
@.:A-MAN:. Thanks! I think another project I want to work on is to revive that XPDF app you designed graphics for me years ago. Chrome apps are dead except for on ChromeOS. I kind of abandoned the app and left some people hanging, reviews for the app are crap. But maybe I can re-release it under a new, more clever name.

I'd use PDF.js to make a PDF an extension-based viewer that replaces the built-in Chrome viewer. PDF.js out of the box has more bells and whistles than the built-in PDF viewer in Chrome. But I think I could alter it an give it some additional features, like how Acrobat allows you to print N-up to a page. That's literally the only reason I ever used Acrobat. Chrome has an option to do N pages per sheet by default, but not N-copies per page per sheet if that makes any sense.
70.:A-MAN:.
1 year ago
Nice! Hope it works out for you.
v3.2