Online Users Page

QN

51umer936
2 weeks ago
Finally got unquarantined. They said cryptocurrency miners are against policy because they are for direct profit (which not allowed to do).

Don't really understand the point as I'm sure my traffic isn't higher than someone watching Netflix or something, but whatever.

I'm debating whether to try through using a VPN, but I already got in trouble with them so I probably won't. I'll probably be using a VPN just in general now because I'm a bit pissed I just got straight disabled from the network, no warnings, etc.

JSMastah dislikes this.
0/8000
51umer936
1 week ago Reply
@JSMastah I believe it's this: http://www.allianceforwaterefficiency.org/blow_down_water_introduction.aspx
TL;DR:
The water that is drained from cooling equipment to remove mineral build-up is called "blow-down" water or "bleed" water.
9JSMastah 1 week ago Reply
@umer936 What's the "BlowDown" item you listed?
55.:A-MAN:.
1 week ago Reply
Have another
51umer936
1 week ago Reply
@BlueLake2 Here's one more
34BlueLake2 1 week ago Reply
The surprise on my face when I log on to 18 notifications
51umer936
2 weeks ago Reply
Took forever, but I found the building by building page. (Have to sign in with my ID though)

I can see:
Chilled Water
Electricity
Gas
Gas Transportation
Steam
Water
Wastewater
Blowdown
Hot Water

Per month, per building, both in units and $ amount. With nice charts to compare between buildings.
Looks like the oldest I can go back is 2011, so I figure that's when they started consolidating the data on the page.
51umer936
@.:A-MAN:.
This one has live data.

There's a historical data webpage too that I found at some point
55.:A-MAN:.
2 weeks ago Reply
Oh wow, yours is more transparent than mine then.
51umer936
@.:A-MAN:.
It's not arbitrary. I go to a public university, so all that info is public. I can literally go to a website and see how much power each building on campus is using, as well as how much everyone gets paid. Give me a min, I'll find the power website.
55.:A-MAN:.
I would be too lol
51umer936
@.:A-MAN:.
That said, I'm definitely still pissed that they restrict my internet so easily, especially since I do pay for it.
55.:A-MAN:.
2 weeks ago Reply
Yeah but then again you could argue it's all arbitrary anyways and they could raise it without reason just as easily.
51umer936
@.:A-MAN:.
Yep. But if too many people are using too much power, then they gotta raise housing bill, which is worse for everyone.
55.:A-MAN:.
2 weeks ago Reply
The power is a good point, though it technically would be paid for by your housing bill, right?
51umer936
@BlueLake2
I did want to add that I think one of the reasons they enforce it for coin mining is because coin mining also uses power, which is also a school utility (since I'm on campus). I think they really don't want people running massive rigs 24/7, eating power and pushing out heat (A/C costs, which, in Texas is a lot).
Additionally, sometimes malware runs crypto on compromised systems, so it becomes a lot easier to detect if a system is compromised and crypto mining if crypto mining isn't in regular traffic.
55.:A-MAN:.
2 weeks ago Reply
That's at least good, but man, they shouldn't get to tell you how to spend it.
51umer936
@.:A-MAN:.
You get 10GB/week unless you upgrade.
Granted, the upgrade prices are pretty cheap.
I'm on the 50 GB/week plan, and they also scale as the year goes (so if you waited until halfway through the year, you'd only pay half)

It's much, much cheaper than like AT&T at home, especially since it's pretty fast and everyone gets an ethernet port in the dorms.
55.:A-MAN:.
2 weeks ago Reply
Wait, they make you pay for bandwidth and they still restrict it? That's stupid.
51umer936
@BlueLake2
Yep. Technically.

However, we literally have a facebook group called "UT Buy/Sell/Trade/Free" with just under 34,000 members. I can guarantee people use school internet for it lol (I've bought things from it).

Also, my friends and I have been investing in the stock market on school internet. I've made way more from that than I'll ever make on crypto considering I was just planning on mining from my mid-range laptop every so often.

I also pay for bandwidth, so I'm not really happy that I can get so instantly banned for something that's not illegal or damaging to the school - either physically or in terms of reputation.
34BlueLake2 2 weeks ago Reply
That's pretty dumb. Wouldn't using school internet to set up a Craigslist or eBay listing also be considered using them for direct profit?
55.:A-MAN:.
2 weeks ago Reply
Yeah that stinks. If you have a VPN, may as well.
v3.0